Thursday, April 24, 2014

A to Z Challenge - "U"



U - as in "Uhuru"
Oh, now I've got your attention. 

"Uhuru" means Freedom, in Swahili. But why I remember the word is because of a fabulous trawler we met in La Paz, Baja California. It swung on the hook next to us in a very squirrely La Paz Bay and one always got a bit nervous if the boats would collide.

One morning, during the regular radio broadcast between the boats, Uhuru asked if anyone had a replacement high-pressure hose. You could almost hear the snickering over the airwaves. Why would any of these rather modest sailboats have a high pressure hose lying around? We never found it what happened as we soon thereafter left, sailing north into the Gulf.

Anyway, that's my story - and I am sticking to it.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Inge - great word - and one we should remember .. too many don't have freedom. What a great name for a boat .. and I agree I wonder what had happened to their previous hose .. still good name and definition to be reminded about ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Hilary - Yes, Freedom is often taken too lightly by those who have always had it. As to the old hose, I am afraid it exploded under pressure - I assume they eventually either found one among the cruisers, or someone flew one down. The radio amateurs always kept in touch with the marine store in San Diego. I remember, I myself packed a small sail for someone in Cabo on another trip.

      Delete
  2. Neat word.....freedom is a great word in any language! (Wish I knew how to pronounce it). Almost to the end of the A-Z, Inge! Stay the course....as sailors say :)
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll do, Sharon. Course set at full speed ahead - I'll even fly the spinnaker to gain a knot or two. You do the same now.

      Delete